Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Top 10 Law Faculties

Just recently, The Nigeria Advanced Institute of Legal Studies (NIALS) released a list of the top 10 law faculties in the country. Speaking through its director general Professor Epiphany Azinge, the law faculties in the country are those of The University of Lagos, Obafemi Awolowo University Ife, University of Jos, University of Benin, Lagos State University, Ahmadu Bello University, University of Nigeria, Babcock University, University of Maiduguri and Igbinedion University.

I am not a lawyer, but I have over the years interacted with a lot of law students and lawyers extensively over the years, and I must say that my eye brows are raised as concerned this top 10 list.
looking critically at the list, there is at least one university in every geo-political zone, a state university and private university. I think that by doing this, NIALS was actually trying to fulfill all righteousness by satisfying 'all concerned' and not really being 'professional'.

On what basis did NIALS grade the faculties? Is it by the number of professors each faculty has? Or the number of SAN members in the faculty? Or the results churned out by graduates of these faculties when they write their bar exams at law school?

I am still looking at the list and analyzing it technically and I do not see why some renowned universities like University of Ibadan, Bayero University and University of Calabar are missing from the list. Anyway, like I said earlier in the write up; I am not a lawyer. So I guess its left for lawyers and law students to comment on.

No comments:

Post a Comment