Friday, May 7, 2010

Yar'Adua, a true patriot

In in my final year at The Federal Polytechnic Bauchi, I was invited to attend a ceremony in kaduna. As a Cross Riverian, I always thought Donald Duke was the best performing governor when it came to providing social and infrastructural amenities to the people. On getting to Bauchi, Governor Mu'azu let me know I was living in a concealed world, because his efforts in roads beat Donald Duke hands down. Now, at Kaduna, my guest (who was a student at Katsina Polytechnic) told me that both Donald and Mu'azu were nowhere in comparison to the governor of Katsina. And who was this man? Yes, a certain Umaru Musa Yar'adua. And a visit to Katsina proved so.
I was therefore glad (even though he wasn't the person I supported), when PDP- or is it Obasanjo, gave him their presidential ticket in 2006. As expected, Yar'adua won the elections, was sworn in...but never really got to work. From the little he did and tried to do, it was obvious that this man had the unity and greatness of Nigeria at heart. As a person from the south-south niger delta, his amnesty programme was super. But, he finally lost the battle to ill health.
I sympathize with his family, and all Nigerians on his death and pray Almighty Allah grant him eternal rest, and to wish my brother Goodluck Jonathan the power, the will and the wisdom to carry this country to where it rightfully belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment